June 2016 Update: I have written a new and updated article on how to save Snapchat photos and videos. Follow the link: Save Snapchat Snaps (Photos, Videos & Stories)
Snapchat, the ephemeral messaging app, is emerging to be one of the most popular social applications of 2014 among teenagers despite notorious privacy cases with the FTC.
There can only be one reason why. Self-obsessed teenagers taking selfies and sexting — the act of sending sexually explicit photographs or messages via mobile phones. Selfies are the reason why Instagram became so popular. Sexy selfies could be the reason why Snapchat is becoming ever popular. Because selfies with your clothes on are too mainstream.
Whatever the case maybe, its growing popularity can be attributed to the ephemeral nature of messages exchanged on Snapchat. Snaps — texts, pictures and videos — expire once you have viewed or read them. And you’re allowed to ‘replay’ only one snap in 24 hours.
This means that you can now send embarrassing selfies to your friends. You can pose as stupidly as you want, give your friends a few seconds of laughter, and move on.
Well, at least that’s what the developers of Snapchat wants you to think.
In actuality, there are several ways you can save Snapchat photos, videos and stories to your phone without the sender knowing you’ve kept a copy.
You’ll now want to think twice before sending embarrassing photos.
Anyway, here are some of the most popular apps and methods to save your friends’ snaps without them knowing.
1. Save Snapchat Photos by Taking a Picture of Your Screen
This is stupidly simple.
Your friends will be alerted if you take a screenshot of their snap. But they won’t if you use another camera to take a close-up picture of your phone.
The tricky thing here is that you need to constantly press and hold on to your Snapchat screen during the duration of you viewing the snap. So you’ll have to move your finger down to the bottom of the screen to get a good picture.
The next time you get a new Snapchat notification, get your camera out first, or use a friend’s mobile phone, then open the snap and take a picture of your phone’s screen.
2. Save Snapchat Photos by Using 3rd-party Apps
There are many applications both in the Google Play Store and Apple’s App Store that you can use to save and download Snapchat photos and videos.
Some of the most popular ones are:
- SnapBox – This has to be one of the best apps in the market when it comes to Snapchat hacks. Whenever you receive a new snap, login to SnapBox with your Snapchat credentials and your snaps will automatically be saved permanently on your phone without the sender ever finding out.
- Snapchat Saver – This is one of the most popular 3rd-party Snapchat hack apps in the Android marketplace. It allows you to save both photos and videos. However, make sure you save the snap using this app before you open it on Snapchat.
- SnapCrack – SnapCrack is also an awesome hack app for Snapchat and features some great functions. Besides saving your Snapchat photos, videos and stories, this iOS app also allows you to send photos from your phone’s memory using Snapchat. The paid version of SnapCrack costs $4.99.
- SaveMySnaps – This Android app allows you to view your snaps, and also give you an option to download them. It’s great because you can choose whether or not to download the snap. Make sure you use the app before you open your snap on Snapchat.
- SaveSnaps – SnapSave is really cool in that it totally replaces your Snapchat. You can receive and send snaps right from the app. You can also save your snaps as you please.
There are many more apps in the market, but the above apps have been known to be the most popular Snapchat hacks for saving photos and videos to your phone.
3. Save Snaps by Connecting Your Phone to Your Computer
Before you open your new snap, that is before it gets deleted, connect your phone to your computer. Use a good file managing software like iFunBox to look at the temporary files on your phone from your computer.
After careful examination, you’ll find the temporary snap files. Save these to your computer. For this method to work, it should be made sure that the snaps aren’t opened yet.
4. Recover Expired Snaps Using Data Recovery Tools
If you have viewed a snap and want to recover it, you can use data recovery tools that are normally used to recover lost or accidentally deleted files. These tools can be used to recover expired snaps too.
Well, the above-mentioned methods are some of the most popular and working methods that we know can effectively save Snapchat photos, videos and stories to your hard drive. Know any working method or app? Let us know in the comments.