Is your phone or computer unable to play MKV files and you want to convert them to MP4? Worry not, this is quite easy. There are several ways to convert MKV to MP4 without having to download any software. Of course, if you’re willing to use third-party software applications, there are also a number of MKV to MP4 converter software you can download.
But first things first, what is MKV? MKV is short for Matroska Video. It is an extensible, open source, open standard multimedia container. Many videos use the MKV system and these videos are suffixed with a .mkv. You will come across this file system when you download YouTube videos to your computer, depending on which downloader you use of course.
There are several media players, like VLC, that can easily play MKV files, but of course, there are those that cannot. For instance, if you’re using an iPhone or a Mac, chances are you won’t have a pre-installed player that can play MKV files. Also, most Smart TVs cannot play MKV files.
Since iTunes only recognize MP4 files as far as videos go, you will need to convert MKV to MP4 file format. Let’s take a look at some of the ways you can convert mkv to mp4. We’ll start with those methods that do not require the use of third-party software program.
Convert MKV to MP4 using Cloud Convert
Cloud Convert (www.cloudconvert.com) is a website that offers file conversion in the cloud. It lets you convert from one file to another without having to download any additional software. All you have to do is upload your file to their website and select the file type you want to convert the file to. And that’s it.
In order to convert MKV to MP4, all you have to do is the following:
- Select the MKV file you want to convert by clicking on Select Files.
- Select the file type you want to convert the file to, in this case, select MP4. Refer screenshot below.
- Click on ‘Notify me when it is finished‘ at the bottom of your screen to get notified. This is a push notification so you will have to allow your phone or computer to receive the notification.
- Click on ‘Start Conversion‘ to start the process.
Once you have started the conversion process, the MKV file will be uploaded to CloudConvert’s server after which it will be converted. When the conversion process is completed, a link to download the converted MP4 file will be available.
Convert MKV to MP4 Using VLC Player
If you haven’t been living under a rock, you will have heard of VLC. VLC is one of the most popular media players out there. It can play almost all types of media files, including MKV. While it would seem pointless to convert MKV to MP4 using VLC because VLC can already play the file, maybe you want to play the file on your iPhone or Mac or on a system that does not allow MKV files.
Whatever the reasons are, you can use VLC to convert MKV to MP4.
Before we get to the method, let us try to wrap around some things first. Media file formats suck as MKV, MP4, MPEG, etc. are just containers. Each format comes with a set of streams — video streams and audio streams. Each stream is encoded using some specific codec. Different media files may have different codecs.
MP4 files use different codecs too, including the MPEG4 codec, which is quite common. This means that it is possible to convert (“repack”) an MKV file with an MPEG4 codec to a different container format, in our case, to MP4 container. What we’d actually be doing is rewriting streams as-is without actually converting video or audio. This usually takes little time as we’re not actually converting the video or audio, but just the containers. Converting full-length movies should only take a few minutes.
VLC Media Player has its own set of codecs for many video and audio formats. It can do a lot of things besides being the media player that it is; it has a huge library of its own, it can stream videos and even convert files.
To convert MKV files to MP4 file type using VLC Media Player, follow the steps:
- Run the VLC Media Player software.
- From the top Menu, select Media > Convert/Save. You can also use the shortcut keys Ctrl/Cmd + R.
- In the window that pop up, under File tab, click on Add.
- Select the MKV file you want to convert.
- Then click on Convert/Save at the bottom.
- In the window that pop up, make sure Video – H.264 + MP3(MP4) is selected in the Convert > Profile.
- Click on the icon next to the Profile, as shown in the screenshot below.
- In the new window that pops up, under Encapsulation tab, make sure MP4/MOV is selected.
- Under Video codec tab, select the Video checkbox and Keep original video checkbox.
- Under Audio codec tab, select the Audio checkbox and Keep original audio checkbox.
- Click Save. Select the destination folder you want to save the converted MP4 file to and give a name to the file by clicking on Browse.
- Click Start to start the conversion.
- The converted file, upon finishing, will be in the folder you selected.
While there are many file converter software programs that you can download from the internet to convert mkv to mp4, the above two methods do not require downloading or installing any additional software program, assuming you already have VLC Media Player installed on your system. We hope you have enjoyed the tutorial.